- Gmail 102: How to receive and send customized emails through Gmail (with pictures)
Last Updated on March 3, 2020 by Memorila
This tutorial will show you how to configure your free Gmail account to receive and send mails from your customized email accounts.
How does one receive and send emails through customized email addresses through Gmail? Let’s say I want to send an email from my customized email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org), how will I go about it?
In case you have missed it, in my previous Computer Appreciation lesson, I explained what files and folders are, how to save and create new files and much more. You can read it here.
What is a customized email address?
A customized email address is the email address that is linked to your website’s domain name (domain-example.com). These email addresses are not the free ones you get from email service providers such as Gmail, Yahoo, MSN, etc.
For example, being the owner of memorila.com, I can create an email attached to it. And hence, my customized email address will be email@example.com which is separate from my gmail account, firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to receive and send mails through customized email addresses in Gmail
So now that you have known what a customized email address is, how do you receive and send mails from and to your contacts from these customized email address? You can do this in more than two ways. But I will be showing you the simplest and safest ways.
Gmail, a free email service provider from Google has provided us a way in which we can receive mails and send them to and from our customized email addresses. But before you can able to send or receive mails, you have to add the customized email account to your Gmail account.
In today’s tutorial I will show you just how to add a customized email address to your Gmail account so that you can receive emails to it and send from it.
But if the customized email account has already been added to your Gmail account and all you need is to send or receive the mails, just jump to the sections on how to send customized mails or receive them.
Table of content
- How to configure importation of emails from customized email address into Gmail
- How to configure sending mails as customized email address from Gmail
- How to send mails from your customized email account in Gmail
- How to read mails sent to your customized email in Gmail
How to configure importation of emails from customized email address into Gmail
If you want to import your emails from your customized email address into your Gmail account, all you need to do is itemized below:
1) Log into your Gmail account using a computer system.
2) Locate and click on the settings button (gear picture) at the top-right of the screen. When a drop-down menu appears, click on Settings.
3) In the settings page, click on the Accounts and Imports
4) On the Accounts and Imports page, scroll down to Check mail from other accounts section and click on Add a mail account
5) In the Add a mail account window that pops up, enter your customized email address in the textbox provided. In my case I entered email@example.com. Then click on Next
6) In the next page, select Import emails from my other account (POP3) and click on Next.
7) In the next page, you will be requested to enter the mail settings for your customized email address. Here you need to enter your full customized email address as your Username (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and the Password of the customized email address provided by your hosting provided. Mind you, you will also need to change the Port to 995 if your websites uses the https protocol. Tick all the checkboxes provided except Archive incoming messages. Once you are done, click on Add Account
8) That is it. Your customized email address has been added successful. All mails sent to your customized email address will be fetched into your Gmail address.
9) If you want to send mails from the Gmail account using your customized email account (e.g. email@example.com), select Yes in the next page, and then click This next section will show you how to configure Gmail to send mails as your customized email address. But if you do not want, select No and click on Finish.
How to configure sending mails as customized email address from Gmail
Assuming you want to send mails from your customized email address (in my case firstname.lastname@example.org), you can do this also through Gmail. Hereunder, I have enumerated ways to follow.
If you selected Yes in option 9 in the previous section, jump to option 5 below:
1) Log into your Gmail account using a computer system.
2) Locate and click on the settings button (gear picture) at the top-right of the screen. In the drop-down menu that appears, click on
3) In the settings page, locate and click on the Accounts and Imports
4) Scroll down to Send mail as section and click on Add another email address
5) In the Add another email address you own window that pops up, enter your Name as you will want it to appear and the customized email address (email@example.com) in the Email address Then click on Next Step button.
6) In the Send mail through your SMTP server page, you will find that the SMTP server (i.e. your-domain-name.com) has already been entered for you. Leave it as it is. Your Username will be your customized email address in full (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org). Enter the Password provided by your hosting provider. If you use the https protocol, change the Port to 465. Then click on Add Account button.
7) In the Confirm verification and add your email address page, a code will be sent to your customized email address. If you have already set your Gmail account to import mails from your customized email address, you will receive this code in your inbox. Fetch it and paste it into the Enter and verify the confirmation code textbox and click on the Verify
8) If the verification is successful, the pop-up window will disappear. This means that you can now send mails as your customized email account from your Gmail account.
How to send mails from your customized email account in Gmail
This is the sweetest part of this whole tutorial, the icing on the cake. How do you now send mails from your customized email account in Gmail? We have been setting it up. Now, let’s enjoy the cherry. Let’s go.
1) Log into your Gmail account.
2) Click on Compose
3) In the New Message dialogue box that pops up, click on the combo box by the right hand side of the From This displays a dropdown menu where you can choose your customized email.
4) Enter the email you are sending to in the To field, frame the Subject title and then type in the body of the mail in the blank space provided
5) Once done, click on the Send Wham! That is it.
Now, what of mails sent to your customized email address? How do you access them? Read on.
How to read mails sent to your customized email in Gmail
Reading mails sent to your customized email account in Gmail is as simple as drinking water. Follow the steps below:
1) Log into your Gmail account, which logs you into the Inbox folder. Select the mail you want to read by clicking on its link.
2) The mail will be displayed for you to read and/or take action.
Well, that is it on how to configure your Gmail account to enable you send and receive mails to and from your customized email account. If you have a question on any section of today’s tutorial or you have other ways of doing these stuffs, feel free to leave a comment below.
Talk to you soon on another topic!