Inserting images on a WordPress site’s sidebar is not easy to non-programmers. Learn how to use an image widget plugin to add images to your sidebars.
WordPress is the world’s greatest and most popular free content management system (CMS) with over 22,395,388 downloads so far. With the installed WordPress, once you have a domain name and a hosting space (not the free hosted one actually), you can create beautiful websites and extend it with endless plugins and themes.
Even though WordPress is popular, it is not still a one-fit-all solution. Hence, there are times you would want to carry out a task but the functionality will not be there. This is just why you have over the 47,309 plugins at your fingertips. More still, because of the ubiquitous nature of the CMS, you are rest assured that whenever you hit the brick wall, there are many people out there who will lead you out of the labyrinth.
One place WordPress is lacking is the absence of a built-in widget to display images on a sidebar. If your theme did not come along with a custom-made image widget, your only option would be to hardcode the Text widget that comes shipped with WordPress. But it is not everybody that is a programmer. So where is the way out of this maze?
In this post, I will show you how to get a good image widget plugin which you can use to insert images on your sidebars without typing any single code. If you are ready, follow me below:
Steps in getting a good image widget plugin
If you have already installed an image widget plugin or your theme comes with one, you can skip this section and move to the steps below:
- Make a search for “WordPress image widget plugin” in any search engine like Google. Or better still; visit the official WordPress Plugin directory and type in the above search term in the search textbox. See image below:
- Check out for the plugin with the highest numbers of download, reviews and ratings (stars). Presently, you will find out that the plugin that qualified for the above criteria is Image Widget plugin with over 400,000 active installs, 270 reviews and 5 stars rating. Click on it and download.
- Log in to your WordPress site backend, upload the plugin and activate it. (If you don’t know how to upload and activate a plugin, Google it up. But if you would want to explain the steps, leave a comment below so that I will create a post on it).
How to use Image Widget
Once the Image Widget plugin is activated, go to Widgets section of your WordPress site. You can locate the widgets area by selecting Appearance > Widgets. Once you get there, do as follows:
1) From the lists of widgets displayed, click on the Image Widget. A dropdown menu list will appear by the side of the widget displaying the positions you can add the image widget to. See image below:
2) Since we will be adding it to the Right Sidebar, click on it and select Add Widget button. This automatically creates the Image Widget plugin on the location which will give you another option to Select Image.
3) Now, if the image is already on your site, all you need to do is select it from the Media Library. But if it is not, select the Upload Files tab and then click Select Files button to upload it from your computer. Locate the location of the image, select it and click on Upload button.
NB: You will need to know the size dimensions (width and height) of an image before uploading it. It could be too big or too small. To check the size dimensions of an image, right-click on it and select Properties from the drop-down menu that appears. You will see the image’s sizes in pixels from the Properties dialogue box. If the sizes are not what you want, you will need to resize the picture.
Most sidebars need images of 300px width. Hence you need to resize your image to a width of 300px wide by using Paint, Microsoft Office Image Manager or Adobe Photoshop. When you are done resizing your image, repeat step 3 above.
Read this too: How to Grow Wealthy with Blogging 103 – Building Blocks
4) Once your picture finishes uploading, give it a suitable Title and click on the Insert Into Widget button.
5) All you need to do next is to paste the url of the page where the image will take visitors to in the Link textbox. If there is none, you can leave it blank. You can also leave other options as they are. See image below:
6) Next, click and Save… And that is it. Your image will now be live on your sidebar. You can check your site to see. For example Memorila.com showed something like this:
7) Another thing you might want to do is to rearrange the widgets on that particular sidebar by moving the image widget to the top or middle.
8) Furthermore, relative to the theme you are using, you might need to add the image to another widget location for the image to appear on the homepage of your site. For example, if you are using AccessPress Mag theme, you should also add the Image Widget to the Homepage Sidebar Top Ad.
That is all we have in this tutorial. We have seen how to download an image widget plugin from the WordPress plugin directory and how to use it to add an image to a sidebar.
And as you have seen, uploading an image to a WordPress sidebar using an Image widget is indeed sweet and easy like eating cakes. Enjoy your cake…
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If you have other ways of uploading an image to the sidebar of a WordPress site or you have questions, leave a comment below. I will respond in due time.